Candela was born 1910 in Madrid. He was a Spanish architect and played a significant role in the development of Mexican architecture. Candela’s major contribution to structural engineering was the development of thin shells made out of reinforced concrete.
Until 1935 he was educated at the University in Madrid in natural sciences, architecture and traveled to Germany to further study architecture.
From 1936 till 1939 Candela fought on the republican side of the Spanish Civil War against Franco and was imprisoned in Perpignan in France.
In 1941 he started his work as an architect in Acapulco, where he founded his own construction firm. Until 1960 he finished around 300 works and over 900 projects. Most of them are with thin concrete shells.
He died on 7 December in 1997 in Durham, USA.
Augusto Perret prize of the Architects International Union
Anahuac Market Hall and Annex
Baccardi Rum Factory,Mexico
Candelaria Metro Station
Chapel of Mirador de Palmira
Chemical Sciences Auditorium
Cinema Media Naranja
Cosmic Rays Pavilion
Coyoacan Market Hall
Divine Providence, Church of
Frogner Park Monument
High Life Textile Factory
IMSS Band Shell
Jamaica Wholesale Market Hall
La Florida Church
La Jacaranda Cabaret
La Jacaranda Nightclub
Lake Tequesquitengo Signpost
Lederle Laboratories Boiler House
Lederle Laboratories Cafeteria
Lederle Laboratories Entrance
Lederle Laboratories Production Buldings
Merced Metro Station
Plaza de los Abanicos
Saint Peter the Martyr, Church of
San Antonio de las Huertas, Church of
San Bartolomé Apostol, Iglesia de
San José Obrero, Church of
San Lazaro Metro Station
San Vincente de Paul Chapel
Santa Monica Church
Santa Teresa del Niño Jesús, Church of
Sistema Nacional para la Ensenansa Professional de la Danza